Typography Stories



In this task we were challenged with creating a typography story. Before we began this, we engaged in a group exercise were each student had to reflect on their major project and pick ten keywords that define it. The keywords we chose had to be understood by everyone in order to portray the best picture of each individual major project. After we had completed these keywords we then had to produce sentences 10 words long or less which describe or concepts. At this point in the course this these tasks were very easy as everyone now understands fully what they are creating for their major project.

We looked at typography examples from company’s such as Coca Cola, YouTube and the BBC. My personal favourite is the type used in BBC’s media, an example of this can be seen below. I like this as the BBC has a lot of platforms that hold content, a consistent typeface and house-style has been used throughout these applications. In this lesson I also discovered the Monotype app. This app discoveries typefaces using your smart phone through photographic image. I feel this is a great idea and I can see how designers could benefit from its use on a daily basis.


BBC Sport (Source Dalton Maag, 2017)



After the preliminary tasks within the session we moved onto the main focus. This task required us to articulate a good idea in a single sentence or 10 words so that it could be used on a billboard or advertisement. It was essential that we thought about tone of voice within this typography task. Essentially a strap line had to be created in a unique hand scripted font. This helped us to discover our own script.





Above I have completed the typography task. The task required me to find a good strap life for my future clothing brand. At this stage I am still unaware of the branding as this is something that will be refined in my major project however I feel my sentence could potentially work with anything. I have chosen the sentence “For Life Not Landfill” this statement clearly refers to the effects of fast fashion and tries to inform people that the clothing products my brand produce is “For Life”. To develop this idea, I will play around with the framing of this script font.




To develop my personalised script font, I decided to apply the rulings of frames. I did this through a t-shirt design. The reason I chose a t-shirt design is because I feel the audience can understand better what the stament means. I further see this type of design being part of a series If I were to develop it. With my custom script I took sections from each different variation and combined them together within Adobe Photoshop to create the best script. I chose to only focus on one scripted word as I feel it makes the statement stand out more. Didot Italic was used as It adds to the overall organic theme that is created on the t-shirt.

Overall this task has made me sympathise with my own handwriting. I used to think it wouldn’t look very good as part of a design. From thinking this I forced different styles that didn’t look natural which appeared horrible. In this design I feel I was freer and I this comes across in the lettering. In my major project I may now want to look at scripted fonts more in the creations of my sustainable clothing line.


References


Dalton Maag. (2017). BBC Sport. [Illustration]. Retrieved from https://www.designweek.co.uk/issues/14-20-august-2017/bbc-sport-rebrands-dropping-100-year-old-typeface-bespoke-one/