3 Is the Magic Number (Part 3) Development



In the first task I utilised the heat press machine to produce one of my outcomes. I was not pleased with this outcome as it appeared really faded. The print that I used was a flat pink colour, this made me think whether an image with more colour would make a difference to the overall quality of the final product. In my spare time I enjoy sketching random images, typography etc. as you can see from the image below. Due to the use of vibrant colours within this image I decided to try and print it onto a cloth to see how it would look. My process is shown below.







I produced this random sketch using graph paper. I use this type of paper whilst I’m sketching as it allows me to track my curves and straight lines. Once I completed this sketch I wanted to explore vibrant colours within Adobe Illustrator. Essentially, I used the pen tool to digitally render my sketch, I then tried to match the colours towards what you would see on a tiger for comedic purposes.





As you can see above the outcome it is slightly better than my initial test in the first task however, the quality is still very low. I feel no matter what I do the heat press I’m using at the university will always produce dull images when printed onto cloth material. It was essential that I produced this test as I now know the heat press will not be a possibility within my final major project. This conclusion therefore steers me towards screen printing indefinitely. As I have shown during the first task of the module I can get a professional outcome from screen printing, with the possibilities of controlling the substances such as the ink in order to pursue sustainability within my final major project. I have also looked into using the large printer at the university that is capable of printing onto fabric. This is sustainable as it uses less ink however the sustainability of the actual ink is unknown due to it being provided by the university. This technique may be good for big prints that use different colours. I will look at this further in my major project.