Case Study - Depop



In order to create my app, I have reviewed similar brands during the process of this task. Depop provides a mobile marketplace that enables individuals to buy and sell their items on iOS and Android platforms. It was announced in May 2016 that Depop is the official app sponsor of the 2016 Vans Warped Tour. The application has attracted celebrities to open stores, with some donating proceeds to charitable causes. Depop was founded in 2011 by entrepreneur Simon Beckerman at H-Farm, an Italian technological incubator and business start-up centre.


(Source: Screenshot by Blog Author)




As you can tell I have taken a lot of inspiration from Depop. Essentially my app is a direct personification of Depop, however It is more regulated. The whole concept of my app is centred around sustainability. To inforce this brand ethos, the products on the site must be registered sellers and authorised in order to ensure their sustainability through production and the final product.

I have personally experienced using Depop myself and it is a great application. Users are allowed to be in direct contact with the sellers, which I feel creates a more personal shopping experience. From what I have seen Depop thrives the most from vintage clothing however, some sellers promote their own clothing brands through the app. I feel the biggest problem that could arise for Depop is that nothing seems to be regulated on the app therefore, individuals could potentially sell anything they like using a self-upload scheme. The overall app design of Depop seems very dated, this is further shown in the branding. When I created my app, I had to ensure that I brought a fresh youthful feeling towards the branding and UI/UX as this would essentially be my main audience. In the future I may want to try rebranding Depop for fun in order to practise my UI/UX skills.