Guest Lecture - Oliver East



Our next guest lecture was provided by Oliver East of the 15th March. Oliver is a graphic artist / novelist with most of his work being centred around book cover design. Oliver East first started making comics as part of school projects back in his younger years, many of these comics he gave away to friends. Finally deciding he was interested in drawing he started the ‘Trains are… Mint’ series, self-publishing three issues before teaming up with Blank Slate to produce a collected edition of TAM and its two sequels ‘Proper Go Well High’ and most recently ‘Berlin and That’. His work is shown below.


Take Me Back to Manchester (Source: Oliver East, 2018)




In first glance I am drawn to the work Oliver East creates from the very natural names of each book. Slang is used in the titles and I feel this makes you want to understand why it has been written in that way. From reflection on Oliver’s work it is very evident that he is a talented illustrator. I like the freeness of his work as it’s almost like he doesn’t mind about making mistakes. This is something that I would like to imbed in my work in the future as I feel it could give a more personalised finish to my designs however, it will be difficult to break the norm of my current design style.


References


East, O. (2018). Take Me Back to Manchester. [Illustration]. Retrieved from http://www.olivereast.com/index.php/project/take-me-back-to-manchester/