3 Is the Magic Number (Part 3)



In my final outcome, I looked at using the sublimation printer. This process uses a heat press to transfer an image onto a surface. I created this outcome as I wanted to know how it differs from screen printing. To create my piece, I first had to use a sublimation printer to print my logo onto transfer paper. After this the transfer paper was laid onto my fabric and flattened by the heat press for 30 seconds. Once the heat press was then lifted the image had vanished from the transfer paper and fussed with my fabric. My outcome is shown below.





I was not particularly happy with this outcome. The heat press has a lot of variables that need to be adhered to. You can only print onto fabric that is 100% polyester and has a light colour such as white. If you do print using white fabric like I did, the heat from the press ruins the fabric and distorts the colour. The image that is subsequently produced appears faded and not clear. I am happy I did this as I now believe I won’t be using this process in the future. If my overall aim is to print an image with a few colours screen printing would be my first choice.