3 Is the Magic Number (Part 2)



Following on from our introduction into the new task, it was now time to create some initial ideas. To create these ideas, I used hand drawn images. The first thing I looked into is what style of font I may want on my logo. To do this I drew 20 variations of well-known fonts just to see how they differ from each other. In my head, I wanted to choose a font that appears clear and formal. My outcomes can be seen below.





I finished this task with three initial ideas of the fonts I could potentially take forward. My favourite was the font built around the Helvetica family. Helvetica often receives a lot of discredit from the design community for being overused however, I feel it is one of the most legible fonts and it can look very formalised when paired with other variants of the family.

After I had chosen my font, I then began to produce initial ideas for the monogram that will be used in my logo. I wanted this monogram to be simple so that it could be used and seen on a range of different media. I further wanted it to mean something through referring to design, or the service I am providing. I produced 20 variants which can be seen below In my initial sketches.





After I had produced my 20 initial ideas I chose three that I thought worked well. The monogram I thought worked the best is positioned towards the top of the page. This monogram depicts two H symbols joined together which clearly relate to my full name. The way the symbols are joined further depicts the natural shape that forms when you go to shake someone’s hand. I like this monogram because of its meaning and that it can be used on a range of different media in almost any size possible.