Brief 09 - Alphabet Concept



In this task, I was asked to produce a list of words ranging from A - Z that reflected a series of concepts. This was an open exercise in which I could have a number of different outcomes. Within my A - Z I attempted to respond to all the alphabet letters. I wanted to focus on words I thought reflected my ability as a designer. I see myself as a designer that is very competent in branding and layout therefore, the A - Reflects this.



After I had finalised the concepts to the best of my ability I had to produce at least three typographic letters in relation to my subject relative concepts. For this I would have to think about: Typography, Illustration, Design. Whilst producing this I also had to focus on the conceptual content in terms of context / form. 

The main topic that stood out to me referred to “Simplicity”, something which I am also attempting to embody within my major project. “Manipulation” was a concept I was also interested in as I could see how it directly referred to manipulating the letterforms.  My final concept would allow me to create my letterforms in a “Modern” sense. I chose this as I believe I’m a very digitalised designer who focuses mainly on modern work. I later mapped my ideas individually with the aim of exploring them in further detail.

The result of these maps is that I can now acknowledge these observations within my current and future thought processes. I now believe I have a more comprehensive / in-depth approach. 




From reflection on my notes it is clearer to see my thought process. It is now clear that I am wanting to produce a minimalistic modern type. This type would be produced using the letters “I AM” this is to reflect who I believe I am as a designer. The key things I had to remember is that less can appear as more. My work has been refined through the use of many drawings, ultimately trying to express my concept in the best light. To create my final outcome, I had to scan these drawings into the computer and work over them using the Pen Tool within Adobe Illustrator.



I wanted to keep my outcome black and white as I felt this matched the simplistic concept I was aiming for. This also allowed me to see how these letterforms could be used within a full alphabetical font design.