Collection 01 - Organic Material Report


The underlining backbone of my company is aimed at making each collection sustainable. This idea of sustainability can refer to the materials used and the way in which these materials are sourced/produced. In this post I will intend to breakdown my first collection and explain all of the ethical practice’s that have gone into making the garments. Displayed below is an example of one of the items found within my collection. 





Each garment in my collection has been produced using organic 100% combed and ring spun cotton. Ring spun cottons are smoother and stronger. They've been through a spinning process that softens and straightens each fibre. Another step up in quality is combed ring spun cotton, which is even more refined. After the cotton fibres have been spun, they're combed to remove any impurities or imperfect strands. This ensures I am providing the consumer with a quality product which then justifies the price point. The organic nature of the materials within each garment are derived from the supplier. 

Some clothing items within my collection require embroidery, an example of this is shown below. I chose to use embroidery as you can control the sustainability of the practice a lot better than other methods such as screen printing. To ensure my embroidery was deemed sustainable I had to source organic cotton. Organic cotton is grown in subtropical countries such as Turkey, China, and parts of the USA from non-genetically modified plants, and without the use of any synthetic agricultural chemicals such as fertilizers or pesticides. This cotton came on a reel, which I threaded onto the Amaya.





Aside from the materials within my clothing, I have also given attention to the sustainability of the packing used in my brand. Each item of packing in my company has been produced using recycled paper, it then also has the capability of being recycled again. When printing onto this material I have used the UV Printer. UV printing is more sustainable practice. UV inks are environmentally friendly, because unlike solvent-based inks, 100% of the ink is used. The UV rays from a light source quickly activate and start a cure process to harden the ink, rather than being evaporated like solvent based ink. The use of the UV printer can be found in my clothing tag creation.

Overall, I believe I have created a brand which has thought about sustainability in every area. From my research provided in my first submission I believe I have chosen the best materials for the consumer. In my next post I will look at the suppliers I have used and reinforce their sustainable claims. Each supplier I have used has been selected and compared against numerous other sustainable companies to ensure only the very best is selected.