Live Competition - D&AD 2017



Rather than competing in one of this year’s D&AD live briefs I reflected on my entry from the previous year. I participated in the Monotype D&AD brief. The challenge was to Identify a culture, community or country that I thought is seen as be misunderstood, misrepresented or under-represented. I had to create a typography-led campaign to express my chosen culture or community in a relevant way and engage it with the world. I had to use the power of type to spark a conversation.

The following artwork displays my final design with the Monotype D&AD New Blood Awards brief 2017. This design is aimed around the crisis within, Hungary’s immigration laws. On September, 2015 migrants began to protest, at the Hungarian Boarder demanding to be let in. This resulted in, many violent beatings and arrests, being made by the Hungarian authorities. This migration issue has still been taking place to this day, with Hungary making sure they don’t allow entry.

After research I had discovered an old Hungarian alphabet that is called “Ravas”. Ravas is an ancient scripting of then migrating Hungarian “Magyar” tribes. From this apparent Hungarian background in migration, it is strange that the country won’t help these people in need. I have regenerated the old typeface by creating a set of poster designs. The posters show violent yet hypocritical quotes from the Hungarian government on the topic this is all written in the regenerated ancient scripting Rovas Type. My outcomes are shown below.











Overall, I was very pleased with the outcome of this design. I liked how extensive thought and research went into discovering the history of Hungary. The thought aspect of this design is something I would like to aim for within my major project. If I could add an underlining meaning to my clothing revolving around sustainability, I feel this will create a product that has more substance, rather than it being just a printed t-shirt etc. Essentially, I would like my final major project to spark a conversation within fashion.