Extended Practice - Supplier Sourcing



As I gradually progress into my major project I want to ensure everything is in place so that I can get off to a good start with my clothing designs. I have already decided to use screen printing as a base for my designs, I now need to find how I will source the material. The clothing material in this major project is the most important feature of the idea. The clothing that I source has to be fully sustainable in order for it to comply with the guidelines I have set in my project brief.

After much research on what makes a company such as Patagonia sustainable, I discovered that this was primarily down to the materials that they use. In parts of Patagonia’s product range, they use recycled clothing. Patagonia then manipulate this clothing in order to reflect their branding and own designs. With the idea in mind of sourcing sustainable clothing providers I skewered the internet and made many phone calls.


Organic Textile Company (Source: Screenshot by Blog Author)

Fruit of The Loom (Source: Screenshot by Blog Author)



Here I have displayed three suppliers I could potentially use in the future. These suppliers are Fruit of The Loom, A.M Custom Clothing and Organic Textile Company. Each company offers sustainable clothing and fabrics. I particularly like A.M. clothing as you can specifically choose what type of sustainable garment you want ranging from organic to recycled. The price points of these companies are all reasonable and do not require a minimal order amount which is beneficial if I just want to test the quality or experiment.


A.M. Custom Clothing (Source: Screenshot by Blog Author)


I have placed the link to the websites above. With this research I wanted to make sure I found a supplier that just provided sustainable fabric. Organic Textile Company provide a service in which I can order yarn and other material needed to make clothing from scratch. This is a bit excessive as I have never created a piece of clothing before, but at this stage I would like to keep my options open so I can experiment in my project.