Research - Kurzgesagt



Kurzgesagt is a Munich-based YouTube channel and design studio. The YouTube channel focuses on producing animated educational content. The name derives from the German kurz gesagt, which directly translates to "said in short"; it has been translated as 'in brief' or 'in a nutshell'. Founded by Philipp Dettmer in 2013, the channel has now gained over 5 million subscribers. YouTube videos from Kurzgesagt typically discuss scientific subjects, such as the Big Bang, but also feature various political and philosophical subjects, such as the European migrant crisis and optimistic nihilism. Each video is typically 5–10 minutes in length. Kurzgesagt also maintains a German channel with similar educational content. Below I have placed a link to their work.


I find the educational effect Kurzgesagt has on me is very effective as it makes me insist for more. I feel we could potentially display our project in this fun style as it very much uses the influences of graphic / motion designers in order to create the video content. I also like the use of contrasting vibrant colours from a design perspective.